Summer is the season for party food and with a few more days left in the year many of us are preparing for New Year's Eve. I hear from many food lovers to post recipes with aubergines (eggplants) and here we go! This dip is traditionally cooked as a vegetarian dish with eggs. The Caspian region is famous for this dish. I decided to go against tradition and tweak the recipe to make a dip for this party season.
A quick post for today to wish you a very Happy New Year!
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
4 Cloves Garlic, crushed or finely chopped
2 Tomatoes, skinned, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
4 Tablespoons Walnuts, roughly chopped
2 Tablespoons Mint, chopped
Salt and Pepper to season
- Prick the aubergines with a fork and place them directly over an open flame (gas stove, BBQ or charcoal BBQ) until the aubergines are completely charred; skin is blackened and soft.
- Allow the aubergines to cool and remove the skin. Process in the food processor until smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a fry pan and add crushed garlic.
- Once garlic has browned, add the tomatoes.
- Stir until the tomato pieces become soft.
- Add the aubergines and tomato paste.
- Continue to fry for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the walnuts and chopped mint.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the dip cold with flatbread.